Sunday, 6 March 2016

Persians!

This army had been in the painting queue for a year, it's a c400 bc Persian army made up of steve Saleh figures from Foundry, plus some others by Casting Room Miniatures, a brand which Foundry uses quite bizarrely to let you know they are by a different sculptor.

The infantry consist of a guard unit if "applebearers" (hoplites with bow), 4 units if kardakes (jav/bow), 2 median archers, 2 light infantry.




The cavalry are made up if 4 heavies and two lights, plus some scythed chariots.





The chariots (which also include my CIC) are made by Essex miniatures. It's been years since I painted any Essex figures, I had quite forgotten just how good the sculptures are. They were a joy to paint. They must be 30 years old at least. 

This will make up about 140 poing army for "To the Strongest" rules, enough for a small game. I have more to add, Greek and Scythian mercenaries, but I plan to have these as a deprecate, "mini-army", which can be used as allies for lots of other armies.

10 comments:

Caliban said...

Lovely work. I have a soft spot for Essex Miniatures too...

Simon Miller said...

Fantastic, Barry! I have almost completed an Alexandrian army- we should have a crack at each other!

Barry Lee said...

Yours is probably three times the size of mine Simon, I might need some allies!

Simon Miller said...

My specific earlier Macedonian force is pretty modest- so far one unit of companions and 96 pikemen. I am planning some more companions, prodromoi and hypaspistai though...

RMacedo NoVember said...

Fabulous units - the chariot is amazing!

Jonathan Freitag said...

Gorgeous Persian army!

Phil said...

Spectacular colors, great looking figures (love the impressive chariots!) and very nice job on the bases...

Klingula said...

Remarkable army! Congratulations 8)

Barry Lee said...

Thanks all for your kind comments!

Phil said...

I'm a little late here, but, Awesome display of top notch painted Persians - love the colours!

cheers,