Saturday, 5 March 2016

Perry Medievals

Well now for something completely different (for me that is!). Perry plastics, mercenaries c 15th century. I'm starting a small and entirely plastic (yes, that's also a first for me) army, probably Italian, but have begun by painting these mercenary hand gunners and crossbowmen.

Whilst I don't particularly enjoy sticking all the bits together, they are worth the effort, and the Perry plastics are amongst the best available. I started with a black undercoat with these (I toyed with white). One of the most daunting things about painting figures from this era, particularly well detailed figures like the perrys, is working out what everything is! What is armour, what isn't. Someone more familiar with the period would not have to keep referring to painting guides and box art to figure it all out. And you just know someone will take delight in pointing out any mistakes!






Over the last few weeks I have transitioned to using wood glue for fixing figures to their MDF bases. This works as better for plastics, and gives you a little working time to move the figures around to get a good effect. I'm using Gorilla wood glue which gets tacky after a few minutes, but like all wood/pva glues really needs a good 24 hours to dry thoroughly

5 comments:

Phil said...

Amazing details on these beautiful units...great bases as well....

Jonathan Freitag said...

Great work! Looks to me you have sorted out armor from cloth. I have not tried plastics yet; much prefer the heft of metal. The Perry plastics (and metals) are excellent.
One note about wood glue as a basing fixative; removing the figures will be trouble if you ever rebase. Wood glue is not water soluble like pva/white glue.

Barry Lee said...

Thanks both. Jonathan, I hope not to have to rebase, but history tells me I probably will. I will test out the method of soaking overnight in water as I believe it gets into the mdf vase?

Simon Miller said...

Really nice, Barry! I'll take them on sometime with my Mustering WotRs.

The MDF will gradually soak up water but I would also recommend a PVA glue. It is really helpful with positioning the minis as it dries slowly. Also great when (inevitably) rebasing.

caveadsum1471 said...

Missed these, lovely job on these late medieval Perrys, I've moved over to pva, it's also possible to get a scalpel underneath and there is more give than super glue when you have to get them off.
Best Iain